I must say it has been a fantastic year for my blogging and beer drinking habits, as I look back on all of the "resolutions" I set for myself at the beginning of 2011. Did I accomplish all of them? Honestly, no, I didn't. Let's take a quick look though before I get into some goals for 2012.
- Visit at least 6 breweries. I accomplished this one, visiting the Tin Roof Brewery in Baton Rouge, Parish Brewery in Broussard/Lafayette, Freetail Brewery in San Antonio, Saint Arnold Brewery in Houston, No Label Brewery in Katy, and the Bozeman Brewery in Bozeman. Each of them presented a unique experience and I would (and almost certainly will) visit them all again!
- Get published somewhere other than my blog. Hmmm, in a way I did accomplish this as the Raise A Glass radio show featuring myself and Jay Ducote of BiteandBooze.com is on the air and published on iTunes. It wasn't really the point of the goal, but I suppose it does meet the letter of the law.
- Keep Homebrewing. Mission accomplished here, I brewed several beers throughout 2011 and also a mead. I plan on doing even more homebrewing in the future now that I'm done with resolution #7 which you'll see later!
- Enter a Homebrew contest. I never really did this, but I did serve some homebrews at the Tin Roof Homebrew Appreciation Night. Still though, I can't say that counts because it wasn't a contest, just an open house/tasting. Strike 1.
- Drink a beer stronger than I ever have before. This was accomplished twice over... once with the Brewdog Tokio* Imperial Stout and also with the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Check!
- Continue to get in better shape and lose weight as I simultaneously continue to enjoy beer and write about it. Well, I can't honestly say that I accomplished this one. I didn't gain much, but I am up about 5 pounds from the start of the year. So crap... strike 2.
- There are 365 days in 2011... I think I should try 365 new beers. This was the big one, and I accomplished it with flying colors, drinking around 460 (and counting for another day) new beers this year. I finished it off with a Westvleteren 12 as number 365 back in October. I did fall behind in blogging about all the beers, but can you really blame me? That's a lot of brew!
So there you have it... 7 resolutions, 5 success stories and 2 strikes. I guess it takes 3 strikes to be out, so I'll keep on blogging about beer!
My goals for 2012 will be a lot simpler and mostly focus on that Resolution #6 that I failed to accomplish but also some aspects of the rest. Check back tomorrow for that post!